About the Assembly of European Regions
The Assembly of European Regions is looking for a Communications and Events intern to join the Brussels team in Autumn 2023 for at least 3 months. Starting and ending dates are flexible with a preference for late September/early October.
Deadline: 15.09.2023 COB. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
Established in 1985, the AER is the largest independent network of regions in wider Europe. AER is a forum for interregional cooperation and a platform for regional interests on the European stage, being a key player in the regions’ dialogue with the European Union Institutions, the Council of Europe, and other international organisations. AER supports members to improve their policies by exchanging experiences and sharing practices. It also manages a series of capacity building activities, and hosts Eurodyssey, a youth mobility traineeship programme, as well as Task Forces and Working Groups on issues of common interest to member regions.
This is the position for you if:
- You are a motivated student or young graduate eligible for an Erasmus+ grant / scholarship or similar scholarships. AER will consider the applications of students looking for mandatory curricular internships or similar framework conditions.
- You studied or you are studying Communications, PR, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, or similar subjects.
- You have some experience in social media communication and event organisation; this is appreciated but not compulsory. Volunteering and experience in student organisations are valued, as much as political or civic engagement more broadly.
- You are interested in political communication, fascinated by European and regional affairs and ready to work in a Pan-European membership-based organisation.
- You have a very good level of English. Some knowledge of French or other European languages is appreciated but not compulsory.
What are you going to do?
- Assist the Communications and Events Manager in the day-to-day running of AER social media accounts.
- Assist the Communications and Events Manager in the development of visual materials for AER social media and events.
- Assist the Communications and Events Manager in the creation and dissemination in the bi-weekly newsletter to the AER audience.
- Support the Communications and Events Manager, the Member Relations Coordinator, and the Advocacy team in the organisation of the AER Autumn Bureau Meeting in late November 2023, and other AER events.
- Support the Secretariat team as required.
AER is happy to offer you the opportunity to:
- Gain practical experience in communications and event management from A to Z in a European environment.
- Liaise with high-ranking politicians, project officers and partners across Europe.
- Learn about regions and gain a deeper insight into topical issues in European politics
- Work in a dynamic, multinational and multicultural environment
- Develop personal responsibility and initiative
- Gain valuable experience in an international professional environment
- Learn the ins-and-outs of implementing a communications campaign for a large-scale, international event.
Before applying, please keep in mind…
- An internship contract must be signed by AER, the intern and a sending University / Higher Education Institution.
- The internship is intended for students who have to complete an internship as part of their studies, and receive a scholarship through Erasmus+ or similar programmes. On top, you will receive a monthly financial contribution of EUR 150 by the AER during your internship period.
- If you are an EU citizen, not already living in Belgium and not covered by the Belgian health insurance system, the AER requires you to carry your European Health Insurance Card, provided by your national health insurance provider.
- If you are a citizen of a non-EU country, you will have to make sure that you meet all the legal requirements (visa, residence permit, etc.) to stay in Brussels as specified by the Belgian Law for foreigners. Health insurance must be ensured during your stay, for example, within the framework of your existing health insurance as a student.
How to apply?
If you are interested in joining us and making AER your next professional experience, please send your CV and one page cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “AER Comms and Events Intern“. If available, please attach to your candidacy a Comms portfolio too.
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis until the vacancy has been filled.