Adopted by AER Executive Board 16 March 2016.
Implementing mission and core objectives
The AER Strategy is a fourfold global strategy of the Assembly of European Regions which aims at setting the stage to ensure that the mission and objectives of AER are implemented effectively. The four components comprise Member relations, Planning, Communications, and Human resources. The documents are interlinked and dependent on one another.
AER’s mission is:
- To be the voice of the regions of Europe
AER’s core objectives are:
- Promoting regional interests in Europe and beyond;
- Fostering interregional cooperation to promote the exchange of experience and the development of regional policy.
AER believes in the following values:
- Democracy and transparency – two totally complementary and inseparable values: AER will act transparently to focus on defending the interests of all member regions while respecting democratic principles.
- Fairness and solidarity – the root of mutual respect and acceptance of cultural, linguistic and socioeconomic differences: AER advocates solidarity between all regions of Europe, while urging fairness as a source of cohesion between member regions and promoting equal opportunities for all.
- Openness and dialogue: AER is open to all European regions and their elected representatives, men and women alike, from all non-extremist political movements. AER promotes dialogue and dares to confront ideas;
- Boldness and effectiveness: AER seeks to stimulate creativity and encourage political debate, and aims to transform the regions via forward-looking projects.