AER Office in Dnipropetrovsk
Together with the AER Secretariat, the office in Dnipropetrovsk will pursue the following objectives:
- using of the best European practices of the regions of the EU countries and members of the Assembly of European Regions for the development of local government in Dnipropetrovsk region and any Ukrainian member of AER; implementation of legislative acts related to the decentralisation of power in Ukraine and reforming the administrative – territorial structure in the region;
- acting as central coordinator for Ukrainian regions in the name of AER: liaising with all Ukrainian regions members of AER and finding potential new members in the country for AER;
- supporting of direct contacts between Ukrainian regions and the regions of the EU countries for the purpose of carrying out trainings and seminars to exchange experiences;
- looking for external funding for activities in Ukraine;
- involvement of other participants (representatives of the regions of the EU countries, international law experts, representatives of public organisations of Ukraine and the European Union and representatives of other European institutions);
- involvement of the best European experts on the issues of development the network of business incubators, small and medium-sized businesses, including the procedures of certification and licensing products of local producers for their output on the markets of the European Union.
The Assembly of European Regions – Connecting regions, inspiring Europe.
The Assembly of European Regions (AER) is the largest independent network of regional authorities in wider Europe, bringing together regions from 35 countries along with 15 interregional organisations.
Established in 1985, AER is a forum for interregional co-operation and a lobbyist for regional interests on the European stage: AER was a key player in the creation of the advisory bodies to the Council of Europe (Congress of Local and Regional Authorities) and the European Union (Committee of the Regions).
AER’s policies are driven by an Executive Board and Bureau consisting of regional presidents and other high-level politicians. Those policies are implemented within three working committees and two transversal issues, which are chaired by regional politicians and co-ordinated by staff within AER’s General Secretariat in Strasbourg and Brussels. The committees are pragmatic, non-bureaucratic structures that continuously evolve and respond to the diverse needs of AER members.
The Assembly of European Regions works for a peaceful and prosperous Europe. Our political assembly believes that regions are the optimal institutional actors to build bridges between European/National leaders and the citizens. This link offered by Regions reinforces trust and ensures the flow of ideas enabling peace and prosperity to spread on our continent.
- To establish the principle of subsidiarity as the guiding principle underpinning policy making in Europe
- To promote regional interests vis-à-vis European and national policy-makers
- To embody and reflect the regional dimension in Europe and make it more visible on the European continent
- To ensure that regions remain a driving force for political, economic and social development with a view of accomplishing a multi-layer Europe
- Fairness and solidarity: these two values are intimately intertwined, because they are at the root of mutual respect and acceptance of cultural, linguistic and socio- economic differences. AER advocates this solidarity between all the regions of Europe, while urging fairness as a source of cohesion between member regions and promoting equal opportunities for all ;
- Openness and dialogue: this means that AER is open to all European regions and their elected representatives, men and women alike, from all non-extremist political movements. AER promotes dialogue and dares to confront ideas;
- Boldness and effectiveness: AER seeks to stimulate creativity and encourage political debate, and aims to transform the regions via forward-looking projects. The effectiveness of the methodologies developed and the thoroughness of our analyses of the various projects are the guarantees of our skill;
- Democracy and Transparency: these two values are totally complementary and inseparable. This means that AER will act transparently to focus on defending the interests of all the member regions while respecting democratic principles.
Inauguration of the office
Dr Hande Özsan Bozatli, AER President, inaugurated the AER office in Dnipropetrovsk (UA) and signed the MoU with the regional council. Dr Bozatli stated
The office will be the promoter of the regional management best practices in Dnipropetrovsk, as well as an important factor in attracting financial resources of European funds to Dnipropetrovsk. Through this initiative, Dnipropetrovsk will become a coordination point not only for the regions of Ukraine, but also for Belarus, and Georgia.