Vice President for Democracy
AER has contributed to democracy in several ways over the years: by promoting subsidiarity; by producing the state of regionalization reports showing how decentralized States are usually more democratic in their functioning; by producing a report on youth participation in public life or by helping young people engage in regional life through the YRN.
AER has been working for years with the historic organisation fighting for democracy and the rule of law in Europe: the Council of Europe and has nominated a special envoy to its Congress of Local and Regional Authorities as well as defining a work programme.
During her mandate, the Vice President’s goals are to:
- Identify global conferences organized by NGOs or institutions on the topic of democracy where the voice of regions is missing.
- Increase the visibility of AER and the regional level in such events.
- Liaise with members, committee Presidents and Vice Presidents in order to highlight democracy.
- Identify current hot topics in the EU institutions.
- Cooperate with other organisations, institutions as well as between regions on subjects linked to democracy, inclusion and culture.
AER Handbook on Culture for Inclusion
The AER Handbook of good practices on Culture for the inclusion of migrants and refugees has just been published! This work, which was initiated by Nina Björby, Chair of the AER Subcommittee on Culture with the help of her seconded officer Micaela Löwenhöök gathers good practices from all over Europe and aims to serve as an inspiration and a basis for collaboration. Read more…