Spread the word among your youth regional councils: the Assembly of European Regions is reviving its Youth Regional Network (YRN)
About AER Youth Regional Network
Created by the Assembly of European Regions in 2008, the Youth Regional Network (YRN) is a cross-regional youth platform that promotes active youth participation at regional level. Composed of regional youth councils, parliaments, organisations and young civil servants of the AER network and membership, it provides young people (16-35 years old) with an opportunity to express policy recommendations, to foster debate and capacity-building, to exchange good practices, to reach out to decision-makers and to influence policies. The YRN is a unique forum for young people from diverse regions to raise their voice, and introduce a European dimension to youth policy in those regions.
Members of the YRN can:
- Be nominated by their region (e.g. regional council, county council) directly, to represent them in the YRN – this was a common practice in some AER member regions working closely with their respective regional youth councils;
- Apply spontaneously, as members of a youth regional council, student council, youth parliament, regional youth organisation…
Why are we reviving it?
The YRN suffered from the COVID-19 pandemic, and became dormant since then. However, AER Summer Academy 2022, a youth-focused event involving youth delegates from across European regions and youth civil society organisations, provided us with a momentum to relaunch the YRN. We now aim at developing a “YRN 2.0” with the youth delegates from the Summer Academy and beyond in the AER membership and network – please spread the word among your youth regional councils!
What are the next steps? Save the dates!
1. Open consultation on the new statutes of the YRN (4-18 November)
We will invite all youth delegates from the Summer Academy, and the youth councils of our member regions, to contribute to developing the new statutes of this YRN 2.0. The AER Secretariat will send the proposed statutes open to consultation and amendments, on the 4th of November at the latest. Youth delegates and youth regional representatives from AER membership and network will have the opportunity to submit amendments until the 18th of November.
2. Online meeting (23 November)
Open to youth delegates and youth regional representatives, to openly discuss the future of the YRN, to present the statutes, the proposed amendments and vote on them. A Zoom link will be communicated to the registered youth delegates and youth regional representatives only (see “Join the new YRN!” button to register through the dedicated form).
3. AER’s Executive Board to formally decide on the adoption of the new statutes / amendments (6 December).
4. All youth delegates and youth regional representatives interested in taking part in the YRN will be invited to the YRN General Assembly in Brussels (20 January 2023)
They will be able to elect their new Board, composed of one President, of Vice-Presidents, and of the Chairs of the Thematic Committees. We will open an application process to these positions after the online meeting of the 23rd of November.
Are you interested in joining the new YRN and taking part in its rebuilding process? Then click on the button to fill in the form! Only youth delegates and youth regional representatives who register through this form will be contacted to take part in the new YRN:
Questions? Contact Lorène Weber at the AER Secretariat at [email protected].