Committee 1 members work in order to ensure the role of the regions and their points of view in the discussions of issues covering EU’s cohesion policy, economic development, innovation and research, climate change, energy and rural development. For the past year, there has also been a strong focus on the circular economy as well as on the development of business/SMEs. Investment related projects, alongside the use of entrepreneurship and the economic integration of migrants have also been key in the Committee’s agenda.
More key issues
Broadband internet in rural areas, innovation, connectivity and permeability, intelligent transport systems, state aid for regional airports, economic opportunities of the Silver economy, energy transition, financing schemes for the renewable energy market, global climate talks.
Committee 1 activities are defined in the AER Action Plan. The AER action plan was adopted by the General Assembly in June 2016 and runs from Spring 2016 to Spring 2017.
- Organised a workshop on Building a circular Economy for regional growth
- Involvement in the Convenant 2022 for Circular Economy
- Organised a training academy on geothermal energy
- Promotion of the Denanot report on rural areas at external events
- Contributed to European Parliament’s intergroup on Rural, Mountainous and Remote Areas
- Dissemination of a survey on circular economy
- Launching of 2016 edition of Regional Innovation Award on the theme of the Circular Economy
- Co-organised event on the potential of Biomass
- Carried out study visit on innovation, IT & Health applicationsP
- Presentation on the use of photonics in SMEs
- New cooperation with SEO Amsterdam on region’s connectivity
Other Committee initiatives
Committee Working Groups:
- WG on Investment, Business and SMEs
- WG on Transports and Mobility
- Task Force on Cohesion Policy post 2020
- WG on Rural Development
- WG on Energy and Climate Change
AER Political reports:
- Report on energy security
- Report on Electric vehicles
- Report on Rurality and regional development
- Report on The IDeal Index
AER Online Community
The AER Committee 1 online community provide:
-follow-up on meetings
-opportunities for exchanges between meetings
-opportunities to represent AER at external events
-a space to exchange on project ideas and relay information on open calls & partnerships
-an online discussion forum on specific topics
-an alternative to face to face meetings (the tool allows to make calls too)
-support to stronger & more sustained networking
All you need to register is an email address!
Just fill in the Registration form and we will send you an invitation.
The Committees Online Communities are for AER members only, both for politicians and civil servants. Each forum, also called a “team” has a channel which is restricted to the Committee presidium to provide a special space for the Presidents, Vice-Presidents and Chairs of working groups and subcommittees to discuss strategic points.
Slack, the tool we use, makes your communication instantly searchable and it’s available on both mobile and desktop, wherever you go. Also, it’s fun to use!